Jun 27 2005 


Wrapping up a five-day fact-finding visit to Haiti, United Nations peacekeeping chief Jean-Marie Guéhenno said the mandate the Security Council approved for the UN mission last week provided for tighter security in the Caribbean country in which several peacekeeping troops have recently been killed or wounded.


“The new mandate gives us more possibilities for improving the security in Haiti,” Mr. Guéhenno told staff members at the Departmental Electoral Centre in Cap Haïtien, Haiti’s second largest city, where the staff described their experiences registering northern voters for the elections later this year.


He was accompanied on his visit by the Special Representative for the Secretary-General (SRSG) Juan Gabriel Valdés, who is also head of the UN Stabilization Mission in Haiti (MINUSTAH).


The Council extended MINUSTAH’s mandate until 15 February, a week after the scheduled inauguration of the newly elected government, and said it would renew the mandate for further periods. It also added more than 1,000 personnel, bringing the total to as many as nearly 9,400 in the run-up to the elections later this year.


Mr. Guéhenno, along with Mr. Valdés, visited the Chilean Contingent of February 2024

View by Category