PORT-AU-PRINCE (AFP) – A new storm could ravage four southeastern Haitian towns, threatening up to 2,000 people in this Caribbean island state ravaged by flash floods last week, an official of the International Committee of the Red Cross warned.
The towns of Barrois, Nan Galette, Nan Roche and Saint-Michel risk being buried by loose rocks and mud, said Jean-Jacques Fresard, who suggested moving people to temporary shelters on higher ground.
“We will not be blamed for something that was predicted and that could happen with more rain,” he said, adding that not to take precautions “would be morally unacceptable.”
Torrential rains triggered widespread flash floods on May 24 that killed at least 1,191 people and left 1,184 missing, Haitian officials said.
The floods destroyed 2,399 homes and left 31,130 people homeless.
More than 400 people were killed by floods in the neighboring Dominican Republic, which shares the island of Hispaniola with Haiti.